What is an Addiction?
The Dictionary of Psychology, 2002 defines Addiction as:
1. Overdependence on any substance, person, activity, procedure, etc, 2. Physiological dependence, usually on a drug, characterized by increased bodily tolerance and withdrawal symptoms. Acute withdrawal symptoms occur if the substance is sharply reduced or stopped. 3. Psychological dependence, a strong and compelling need for something such as companionship, entertainment, attention, travel, sexual encounters. When such needs are strong and unsual and continued despite harmful effects to self or others, a person is considered medically or psychologically impaired.
Addiction can take many forms. The most common are addictions to substances such as narcotic drugs, prescription drugs and/or alcohol. Addiction can also take the form of repetitive behaviour such as gambling addictions. Addictions differ from habits in that they cause impairment to daily functioning. It can result in serious financial, legal and health problems as well as family and work disruptions.
Is there a problem?
- Have you tried to cut down or quit gambling or using drugs/alcohol but found it difficult?
- Do you hide your alcohol/drug/gambling from others?
- Has your family or friends expressed concern?
- Are you drinking, using drugs, or gambling more often over time?
- Are you affected by or worried about a loved one's alcohol/drug use or gambling?
- Do ou feel badly after you drink, use drugs or gamble?
Looking for Help?
If you or someone you care about is in crisis or distress you can call the Mental Health Crisis Line of Grey Bruce 1-877-470-5200 where caring, non-judgmental support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and 365 days of the year.
If you are looking for a particular mental health or addiction service call or visit the Community Network Support Team at 1139 2nd Ave. E. Owen Sound, 371-4551 and a worker will provide confidential support and up-to-date information about available resources in your area.
For more information:
New Directions for Alcohol, Drug and Gambling Problems
CHOICES Drug & Alcohol Counselling for Youth
Withdrawal Management Services
Community Addiction Treatment Services
Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Grey Bruce Office
Community Network Support Team
G & B House, Recovery Home